As (almost) everyone knows, Voldemort wasn’t just your run-of-the-mill bad guy. He was uniquely evil.
His only loyalty was to his quest for immortality. He plagued his followers with eternal damnation, and all others with far worse.
In perhaps his most genius maneuver, he split his soul into seven separate parts; storing a piece inside sacred tokens spanning time and space.
This particular storyline grew darker with each turn. It became proof that the generation that started Book One in elementary school was now prepared for the heavy lessons and haunting imagery Book Seven had in store.
All morbidity and murder aside, it makes you wonder. If your soul was split amongst your worldly belongings, what new home(s) would it choose? What would be the Tom Riddle’s Diary equivalent?
It’s important to consider these things. Only if we’re aware of what’s most sacred to us can we protect it’s shine. Only if we can identify that which brings us the sincerest joy can we share it with those most deserving.
Continue reading for my chosen 10 horcruxes; all immortal to me in their own loving way.
1. My Ruby Converse. I’ve been obsessed with Dorothy’s ruby heels for as long as I can remember. Even better, this modern interpretation can be worn every day! They bring a childlike joy, only similar to the candy stand at the community pool.
2. My Claddagh Promise Ring. Very much influenced by the Jonas Brothers, freshman-in-high-school me chose a faux-emerald promise ring and my mother gladly obliged! I still wear it often, pausing to laugh/cringe all the same.
3. Frozen Lake Candle. This Bath & Body Works treasure is nothing short of intoxicating. At any given time, three of these candles are burning at my place.
4. Buffalo Check Lambswool Blanket. It’s like a baby blanket, but socially acceptable. I snuggle it every night, even in the summer. Nothing better than air conditioning and layered blankets.
5. The Highlights – Weeknd Album. What material thing is better than a Weeknd album? Trick question. Zilch. Exception: a “best of” Weeknd album curated by the man himself. Abel chose his favorites and plopped them in a killer order. Swoon!
6. Golden Hour – Kacey Musgraves Album. The only album capable of getting you through that heartbreak (and anything else life throws at you next!).
7. The Museum of Science and Industry. Beauty, genius, and intrigue all in one. It houses one of my favorite memories of my whole life; exploring the exhibits with my mom after-hours.
8. My Local Antique Mall. My favorite place to shop on lunch, during the weekend, ahead of the holidays. Each visit inspires nostalgia and creativity galore.
9. The Kenosha Harbor. Museums, markets, million dollar sunrises. At times, it’s been the only thing that tethers me to the present. Others, it’s been my only escape.
10. My paintings. Most a little haphazard, some quite pleasing, but all entirely vulnerable. Imma keep trying.
“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”Sirius Black. The Order of the Phoenix.