Here we are. We weren’t sure we’d make it. But we did.
At the very least; it’s been 8+ months of forced introspection, restructured inner circles, and pure, unadulterated love for restaurants with patio seating.
At the most; it’s been the threat to our livelihoods, the loss of our loved ones, and the mourning of the integrity of our great nation.
Out of necessity, we’ve learned to embrace the tiny seeds of joy that sprout in-between. In exchange for your undying love and affection, I’ve got a few to share.
1. Dave Chappelle playfully smacking his microphone against his knee (equally satisfying when it’s in celebration of a popular punchline or in the silence of a thoughtful zinger). Close second: his exasperation in receiving the most heartfelt honors during the presentation of the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.
2. Smiles of approval from elderly women. Bonus points if it’s done despite evidence of any ‘alternative’ lifestyle. I’m extra appreciative when my sleeve is showing.
3. Well garnished cocktails. Tamarind, Chamoy, Tajin, pineapple… why choose one?
4. Lap dog naps. The bigger the better. The sleepy sighs, the fluttering feet. Heart eyes for days!
5. Free food. Christmas cookies from your aunt, a surprise bag of cinnamon twists, or a door-dashed breakfast from your best friend. They each remind you of the good in the world. And your gluten intolerance.
6. Newly toned muscles. You know that feeling. The evidence of an extra push-up. The early morning celebration of an evening of squats. It’s the newfound confidence for me, dawg.
7. Static cling of clothes fresh out of the dryer. Don’t let it sit overnight! There’s a unique pleasure in spotting a lingering sock or pair of panties in the folds of a towel or sweater.
8. Decor with a personal touch. Unless Farmhouse Chic is reaaaaaally your thing, mix it up! Make it yours! My current favorite is Mid Century Modern meets Modern Pop Culture. It’s not for everyone. And that’s the point.
9. Being asked for an opinion. Whether it’s regarding a playlist, a memo, or a full blown crisis; it’s an honor. Remember this when it’s your turn to do the asking.
10. Making people laugh until they cry. It doesn’t happen as often as I want it to, but it’s worth the effort every time. In the meantime, check out Nate Bargatze and tell him I sent ya!
Remember: tiny little baby cutie seeds of joy require regular water, sunlight, and generous words of affirmation. Don’t take a single one for granted!
“Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.”Thich Nhat Hanh